Monday, April 23, 2012

The Morning Pages - 04-23-12

There Are No Rules - How to Outline (the Easy Way): "As someone who begins to nod off at the thought of making giant, classic outlines (and instead prefers free-range, perhaps dangerously vague stream-of-consciousness explorations), I was intrigued by [best-selling author Janet] Evanovich’s more simplified “storyboard” process."

The Write Practice - How to Name Characters: "Next to the physical characteristics we try to describe, the names of our heroes, villains, band leaders, and shopkeepers are about the most important tool we have for identifying and tracking who is doing what. Good names help both writers and readers move through a story smoothly; bad names put us in a stagecoach on a washed out dirt road."

Wordserve Water Cooler Educates Authors on Their Rights: "Publishers are in the rights business, pure and simple. They are printers, sometimes marketers, hopefully good editors, but their business is charged with making money over the long haul. That means they want to control any and all rights to your book to license, sell, adapt, modify, translate…you get the picture. So what should an author know?"

Wordplay - How to Create Distinctive Voices:"You must write your characters with the expectation that high school students will read your work and be capable of passing a Shakespeare-style quote quiz on your characters.Why not swing for the fences when creating your characters?"

Wordserve Water Cooler - The Author Doesn't Always Know Best: "I recently had a conversation with an editor at a medium-sized publishing house. She shared a few horror stories of difficult authors she has worked with over the years. Authors with giant egos and immoveable demands. Authors who argued and insisted they knew what was best.I was quite stunned to hear this. Then I got sad and then a little mad. Isn’t it presumptuous to think that an author knows more than an entire team of experts at a publishing house?"

The Write Practice - Your Dream vs Rejection: "I’ve always wanted to be a writer. I want to share to others the worlds I’ve made and the characters I created through my words. This year, I decided to be serious about my dream. I started submitting. It was a foreign experience for me. I proactively hunted down publishing sites (locally and not), and I submitted my work to them."

Write to Done shares 15 Ways to Write Tight. A personal favorite: "Pretend you are being charged money for each word you write." Note that all of these have to do with editing. Never be discouraged if a first draft doesn't flow right.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis