Thursday, April 19, 2012

Morning Pages - 04/18/12

Wordplay - How to Write a Novel in Two Sentences: "First decide on your main idea: the main “goal” you or your protagonist will be hoping to achieve (regardless whether it’s a successful attempt). After you’ve figured out what you want to do, just plop in a character who seems to fit the bill, give him some serious and overwhelmingly difficult objectives (summed up in a few words, of course), and an opponent who’s willing to go to great lengths to prevent your protag from achieving said goal."

Some tough love from Courage 2 Create: "stop asking that finding the time to write be easy and simply ask that it get done."

Wordserve Water Cooler guides us through writing a novel in 15 minutes stretches: I’ve never had the luxury of uninterrupted time to write. In fact, while finishing my first book, I had a five year-old, a busy hubby–and morning sickness (which lasted all day, throughout the whole time I was pregnant with my second son). Since then, I’ve worked a variety of part- and even full-time jobs while continuing to build my platform and hone my craft. And out of sheer necessity, I’ve become a master at using hidden pockets of time to further my career.

Joe Konrath says that Amazon's growing power is a benefit to authors: Those who fear what will happen when Amazon rules the publishing world should instead fear the cartel that currently controls the publishing world: the Big 6. Forcing the agency model has hurt authors and consumers, and that's a damn poor business model and not one I want to align myself with.

Susan Johnston on The Urban Muse - Procrastination is Just Fear in Disguise: Once I realized that fear was behind my inertia, I began approaching new projects differently. I broke them down into small tasks–tasks that I could easily finish in 15 minutes to an hour. For instance, an initial task might be, “Pick five people to interview for the Parents assignment.” Once I check that off, I might assign myself the task of contacting them and setting up interviews. Later on in the process, I might assign myself the task of “typing gibberish onto the screen.” After that is the task of organizing some of that gibberish.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis